VSNL has developed a auto dialer which installs itself automatically.
To download the autodialer software, click here to download. File size is about 1.8 MB. Save the file in some different folder e.g. vsnldialer on c:\ or any other drive.
After downloading and extracting the files, you have to just click on it and it will install itself on your computer. You will need to have dialup networking already installed on your computer. If you don't have it, get someone's help to do this.
This dialer works with native windows 95/95 dialup networking. If you are using alternative O/S you are sort of out of luck. This will not help you.
The main advantage about the dialer is that it has phone numbers for different cities built in it so you do not have to find them out and when any change are there directory will be updated. You have open a drop down menu "Phone Book" and select the phone no. There are of course disadvantages also--- see at the end of this posting.
You can make the dialer save the password. But "The Guide" does not recommend it. As someone else might use your computer if it is accessible to other people.
It is a compressed file which when you click on it will expand into 15 files.
To install the VAD (vsnl auto dialer) autodial.exe click on this file or go to Start-->run-->
browse to the directory you have downloaded the the dialer and click on autodial.exe. It will start the installation and create an icon on the desktop.
Click on the icon on the desktop and "VSNL auto dialer" window will appear.
There enter in the uername and the password for your account.
Then click on the settings:
Here enter Phone number you will want to dial or click on Phone book:
There will be four fields you will have to enter information:
Click on OK
- Service type: select "Modem" (for most of you but if this does not fit then other options are there)
- Country: leave the default-- India
- State or Region: Select your city of state as pertinent. For example Mumbai users select "Mumbai".
- Access Numbers: show the numbers available to you for Mumbai. Select for example 4404444
Now you are back to Settings window. Like you have picked up the phone number, above, do pick up an alternative number so that if the first one busy the dialer will automatically try the alternate.
Click on OK.
Now you back to the VSNL auto dialer window. If you have filled in all the information correctly, you are ready to auto dial without any difficulty.
Reminder: Again be sure to put in username and password before this can be done.
If you have any difficulties write to vsnl or send us Feedback.
If for some reason you want to remove the dialer from your windows 95/98.
Go to start-->settings-->Control Panel-->Add Remove Programs-->high light VSNL Auto Dialer and click on Add/Remove.
Disadvantages of the Dialer:
- If your computer is configured for some other country like mine it will introduce 91 22 as dialing prefix to the phone number and you will have to manually delete the prefixes.
- As soon as you are logged on the software starts the browser and takes you to VSNL's Internet Home Page. Personally, I have found this to be an annoying feature of the dialer.
- To update the dialer writes on your hard disk without your knowledge and permission. To me this is not acceptable.
You can always try the autologin dialer put up by The Guide long time ago Auto Logon