Configuring MS Outlook 98
By V.V. Singh and Peter Doshi
This page explains how to set up Outlook 98 for email.
Running Outlook 98 for the first time...
If you are installing Outlook 98 for the first time, you
will be prompted with what is called a ``Internet Connection Wizard'' installation. This is
in the hopes of making it easier for you to setup. The directions and
screenshots below will give you examples of how this can be set up.
(Click for screenshots!)
||Your own name goes here
|E-mail Server Names
||This dialog is asking for your POP3 and SMTP servers.
Please check this list to find the correct POP3 and SMTP
servers in your city.
|Internet Mail Logon
||Fill in your username and password. If your email address is email@example.com, then flytrap is your username.
Simply, the username is what comes before @ in your email address.
|Internet E-mail Address
||Type in the email address you are identified with on the Internet.
This is most likely to be your VSNL email address.
|Choose Connection Type
||We recommend choosing Connect using my local area network
as it affords greater control over Outlook this way
||Click the Finish button
Configuring Outlook 98 after installation...
You may need to adjust some settings or set it up completely. If it's
already installed, the ``Internet Connection Wizard'' won't come up again,
and it's time to adjust the settings manually. Here's how you do it.
This completes the configuration of Outlook 98 as email client.
- Click the Tools menu, and select Accounts
- Select the email account you have already created (For example: My E-mail Account).
See a sample screenshot
- Choose Properties from the tab on the right hand pane
- You will get a screen like this
- General Properties
- Name: Peter Doshi (for example)
- Organization: (this can be blank)
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org (for example)
- Reply address: (this can be blank if your email address speciified above is valid)
- Advanced Properties
Here, you may want to edit the Delivery feature accordingly:
- If you are the only person using this account from a single
location, do not check the Leave messages on Server option.
- On the other hand, if there are multiple users checking the
mail from multiple locations or one user checking the mail from
multiple locations, make a check on the Leave messages on Server
Information for setting up Eudora and Netscape is also available.